Update: Second Star Interactive appears to no longer be affiliated with Idea Fabrik, according to their website.
There is a new MMO studio and it’s going to get a lot of interest and attention from Ultima Online players, first and foremost because it has among its founders, Tim “Draconi” Cotten, the Lead Designer on Stygian Abyss for UO.
It’s called Second Star Interactive, and it’s based out of northern Virginia. It will be led by Darrin Hyrup, who helped found Mythic Entertainment. They are scheduled to release an MMO by the end of 2011 which is incredibly ambitious if you ask me. It will be based on the HeroEngine. Second Star Interactive is owned by Idea Fabrik, a German company that also owns HeroEngine and HeroCloud, so it’s sort of an in-house MMO.
If HeroEngine sounds familiar, it’s because it’s the engine that is powering EA BioWare’s upcoming Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO.
Dark Age of Camelot and Ultima Online Alumni
* Tim “Draconi” Cotten – Lead Designer on Stygian Abyss/UO
* Eric Piccione – Ultima Online and Dark AGe of Camelot
* Darrin & Lory Hyrup – Dark Age of Camelot
* Cooper Buckingham – Dark Age of CAmelot and Warhammer: Age of Reckoning
* Massively Multiplayer Fallout
* The Escapist